Finding rusty old junk is fun! Nevertheless, I have found that no matter how much "stuff" I find and collect, only God can fully satisfy my heart. Matthew 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Monday, October 7, 2013

Scarecrow Nouveau: Decorating Dress Forms For Fall and Halloween

                                                  Happy October morning to you all!


   Today's post is about creating chic "new" interior scarecrows using vintage dress froms. I will be showing you my favorite dress forms and how I have decorated them for fall. I had posted this earlier today under another title, but I got to thinking that dress forms can be employed as the new scarecrows used in interior fall decorating, so I changed the title to "Scarecrow Nouveau." Kinda catchy! I have seen some other really beautiful examples of dress from witches on pinterest that I love too. It's so easy to make them look spooky, but I wanted to do something a little different this year for my favorite dress from, so I went with more of a scarecrow look.

 As I was "dressing" her the other day and it hit me that maybe one of the reasons we are all so dress form crazy is because it's like playing dolls for us, or playing dress-up. At least it gives us an excuse to play with beautiful vintage clothes, jewelry, accessories and baubles and to use our creativity. I see no signs of the dress form craze dying down yet but since I don't really worry about trends, I know my gal will with be with me for a long time cause she is just so much fun!

A couple of years ago, I did a post about how I scored this particular dress form from a fellow antiques dealer at my booth as she was putting her in the TRASH!!!! I felt guilty and even offered her money for it but she wouldn't take any so I really did get this beauty for FREE! Absolutely love the bronze! Here she is decked out in vintage lace collars and junky jewelry. I recently made her a belt using antique lace, some cute skeleton key ribbon from  Hobby Lobby that I had in my craft stash, a broken picture frame for the buckle and a blingy vintage button for the center. It's fun changing her jewelry from time to time and trying out hats from estate sales.



 
Here she is, ready for fall 2013. I named her "Miss Autumn." This year I chose to give her a look that would last through Thanksgiving. She is dressed with my favorite fall scarf and cute cowboy hat embellished with some fall floral picks. I already had the jack-o-lantern and I just drew some eye lashes on with eyeliner. I did try a jean jacket on her but it really didn't stay on the shoulders and covered too much of that gorgeous bronze.
 

 
 
This beautiful owl necklace is just perfect for fall and Halloween, handmade by Amanda of Ruby's Pocket. I buy Amanda's jewelry just as much for decorating as for wearing!



Here she is last year, a.k.a. Miss "Jaqueline O' Lantern," Looking very chic in her vintage black velvet hat, crow feather boa and very vintage owl necklace.  Miss Jaqueline will be appearing again in an upcoming Halloween post, or at least her head will!
 
Check out that awesome $1 estate sale clutch purse in orange and black, perfect for Halloween parties! You can see more of my shabby Halloween from 2012 here:
 
I also want to show you my pumpkin gal in my booth at the Catlettsburg Antique Mall, located in Catlettsburg, KY. I have dressed her in layers of old petticoats and skirts, a vintage apron, jean jacket, oodles of pearls, and an adorable burlap and straw hat. She is definitely a junker! See her pockets full of little treasures?
 
 
 
 It's so much fun and so easy to dress up your dress form, and if you don't have one you can always make a traditional scarecrow look sassy and use her inside. Use trash bags to stuff a long dress (stuff sweat pants or pj's under the skirt and tuck the legs into some boots, making sure the skirt is long enough to cover the tops of the boots)  and place a cheap fake pumpkin on the top with your hat of choice. Use long gloves for the hands or tuck her hands behind a large handbag. Sit your gal down in a corner chair and there you go!
 
Miss Autumn is ready for a fun-filled October and so am I!
 
Hope you have fun playing dress up this month, whether it's yourself, your kids, or your dress form. It's Halloween time. Embrace it!!!!
 
Parties:
 
Monday 
 
 
Tuesday:
 
Wednesday:
 
Thursday:
 
Friday:
centerpiece/
Saturday: 
 
Sunday

11 comments:

  1. loved both last year's and this year's scarecrow. great idea of using a dress form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun idea with the pumpkins as head to your dress form. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun is this!! Thanks for coming over to the DIY Sunday Showcase Party! New to your blog also, and gotta say I LOVE the name!! That is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amber, I followed you over from Tumbleweed Contessa. I love this idea of decorating the dress form for Halloween! The grandkids will get a kick out of this! Hope to see you again next week.

    Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda @ Tumbleweed Contessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun and clever ideas. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Amber, for taking the time to swoon over at my place.
    Love all that you inspire here with a meet and greet for your friends.
    Love that Jackie girl with her white head and black accessories!

    Inspiring me to create one myself ...

    A beautiful fall to you, keep inspiring us with your fun ness!

    Xox
    Doré

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treasure! And to think you saved her from the trash.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is adorable. Happy to be a new follower. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very fun! My fav is Miss Autumn, love the face all lit up:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, I love this!! I want one! Adorable!!! LOL Just pinned! You were featured at Pick of the Bunch this week. Thank you so much sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. Have a fabulous weekend. :)
    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this! It is so creative of you to have thought of making that for the Halloween. It looks scary to be and at the same time trendy. I will let my daughter see this. I will pin this! -www.zingdisplay.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments from lovely people: