Finding rusty old junk is fun! Nevertheless, I have found that no matter how much "stuff" I find and collect, only God can fully satisfy my heart. Matthew 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Knock Knock! Vintage Door Knob Love

Hello friends! While we are busy bees redecorating and renovating our new (1920's) home, I'm going to spend the next few weeks doing some smaller posts highlighting my junk collections in a little more detail. Tonight is all about my vintage door knob obsession and I'll be throwing a few keys and hardware in for good measure. 

This post was unexpectedly inspired by some hashtags I played on Instagram. I put together some pictures of my collections and thought I should share here too.
Ahhh...the thrill of the hunt. And the thrill of the hoard!

What is it about vintage door knobs, keys, locks and antique hardware that fascinates so many of us? The attention to detail and artistry in each piece is just something that isn't found in modern homes.
There is something so insanely romantic and mysterious about each lock, key and door knob. I always imagine what gracious homes they adorned, and the people who lived there.

I've been collecting vintage for over twenty years and door knobs for about 10 years now and I love displaying them throughout my home in my "junky chic" style. 
Collecting door knobs led to key plates, keys and various other pieces of antique and vintage hardware. 

I always have  keys, locks, hinges, knobs and key plates tucked here and there. My neices like to hunt around Auntie Amber's home for these kinds of little treasures.
Key plates are a little harder to come by but when I find them---Joy! Rapture!

 
What I love best about flea market style is creating a unique look that simply can't be replicated in mass produced store bought decor. This is especially true with holiday decorating. I am always using old door knobs and keys holiday vignettes and year round. 

Crystal knobs work especially well
for icy winter displays.

These shabby pastel and white knobs mimic speckled bird eggs and the soft, muted colors of early spring.

Welcome My Pretties! Antique knobs and skeleton keys are hauntingly beautiful!
These vignettes are what I call, "Pretty" creepy!

Valentine's Day. Old junk holds the key to my heart!



I often craft with my keys and finds. Here are some of my handstitched shabby hearts using all vintage materials and antique skeleton keys.

Here I upcycled a vintage bisque frozen Charlotte with a vintage key "guitar."

Sometimes I just play around with creative ways to display my hardware hoards. You might find a single "specimen" in a vignette, like this lovely green lock.

Or looking fab in pairs or small groupings (Yeah, yeah, yeah)!



Or "displayed" in piles...because you know, everyone needs an old rusty birdcage full of door knobs... 

 Or maybe as eye candy on a tiered server?

Wherever I use them and whenever I find them they are definitely my bliss. What about you? Are you a door knob lover too?





12 comments:

  1. Your a woman after my own heart I love your collection of vintage keys and locks. Your so right they are so skillfully made x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you are on instagram I share a lot more things like this that you might enjoy. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I've never collected them but I do love them. Brings back great memories of my Grandmas Victorian house. She had mainly clear glass ones and ivory ones. So quaint and sweet. Two story brick home with a great bannister for sliding, secret closets, coal furnace, four poster beds, gigantic kitchen and sink, tea cart, apple trees, lightening bugs and a huge wrap around porch. How I miss that home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for re-posting but I had to update my ID.

    I've never collected them but I do love them. Brings back great memories of my Grandmas Victorian house. She had mainly clear glass ones and ivory ones. So quaint and sweet. Two story brick home with a great bannister for sliding, secret closets, coal furnace, four poster beds, gigantic kitchen and sink, tea cart, apple trees, lightening bugs and a huge wrap around porch. How I miss that home!
    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amber, There is a flea market dealer in Canton, TX called "door knob Bob". You would love his booth!! He has old door knobs, back plates, key plates, locks, etc. It's so fun shopping with him....would you like to see what I make with the back plates and key plates? I'll try to send you a photo....there is one photo on my Instagram, but it's further back, maybe a month ago...but picture a repurposed pearl collar with 4 large ornate backplates (escutcheons) hanging down from the collar. On each back plate, is a glittered letter spelling "home" and I've done others spelling 'noel'...

    ReplyDelete

Comments from lovely people: