Finding rusty old junk is fun! Nevertheless, I have found that no matter how much "stuff" I find and collect, only God can fully satisfy my heart. Matthew 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Monday, September 23, 2013

Harvest Mantel And Woodland "Pets"

It's really fall now and I have completed most of my indoor decorating just in time for it's arrival. For today's post I would like to show you some woodland creatures who have joined our family for the season!

I have been so inspired by the beautiful posts this season featuring owls. Owls have always seemed a bit sinister so they are perfect for Halloween decorating, but on a positive note, they are gorgeous and also represent wisdom and knowledge. They display very will in fall  décor. I often find vintage owls at the flea market and yard sales and they are usually very inexpensive. On their own they do seem retro tacky, but worked into a vignette they add a bit of natural and mysterious beauty.

This year for my Autumn mantel I wanted to do something very simple that I could change out quickly for Halloween and use again with some tweaks for Thanksgiving. I literally just threw together this mantel chanting my latest decorating mantra: "Use what you have! Use what you have!" 
 
 First I covered the mantel with a burlap runner. I arranged an ironstone pitcher filled with fall foliage and berries and created a little "fall time" cloche with parts of a vintage watch displayed an old ball jar. I added a couple of ripe harvest fruits, and a vintage flea market owl and estate sale brass candlesticks ($5.00 for the pair). A stack of neutral-toned vintage books and small ironstone mini platters are topped with a vintage flower frog displaying a little monthly prayer book. I added the "Harvest" scrabble tiles (looks like a falling leaf has obscured the letters a bit) and a couple of my favorite white pumpkin soup tureens.  This is a much simpler and quicker mantel than I have created in the past due to my health limitations, since I just don't have the stamina to work on décor for days and hours. Nevertheless, I am pleased with how it turned out. I need to scoot that candlestick in a bit on the right though! I'll have to take another photo and edit the post later.
 
Whooooo's ready for fall? I am!
 

I have no idea what happened with my camera here, as it joined the two pictures together but I like it!

Moving on around the dining room...

I have to travel out of town for my doctor visits where there is a Home Goods and if I am feeling up to it we try to do a quick stop. Even though I have been sticking to my mantra and refraining from buying new seasonal décor, I did find this one owl I couldn't live without for only $7.99. I wanted to keep him for a pet so I brought him home and put him in my 1930's birdcage. Those big eyes just suckered me in!

I am starting to add just a little bit of Halloween touches here and there. I think this little bird cage display looks enough like fall to work without screaming Halloween, but if you look closely you can see "Watch Out" at the base of the owl. In October I will start lighting him up and he will look a lot spookier.
I filled the cage with Spanish moss and  realistic looking faux leaves. I added a tarnished silver plate tray for reflection and a vintage silver plate vase repurposed as a candle holder for a grubby primitive candle. I love this display!


  
Here is my fall buffet display which I will be creating a post for later in the week, but I wanted to show you the sweet little owl picture I found at an estate sale for .25. If you look in the basket you can see him peeking through his "cage."

Oh how I love quarter treasures! I stuck him in the basket with some leaves to add a bit of fall to the display and didn't realize until I took the pictures that I had inadvertently created another caged owl display. Magic! Don't you love how vintage junk just has a way of coming together?

Lastly I want to show you something "deer" to my heart. I purchased this deer lawn statue right after Christmas at an estate sale. I have been meaning to creating a post about her forever so I thought fall would be a perfect time to introduce her.

I buy what speaks to my heart and don't always know about what is trending in decorating. I sometimes get frustrated because I think I have an original idea, and then I see something similar pop up in a magazine a few months later. In this summer's Flea Market Style, there is a page featuring a similar deer which talks about bringing outdoor lawn sculptures indoor and it being a hot new trend. I have had "pet" deer inside since January!

She is a pampered pet, wouldn't you agree?

Well I don't know about you but I am just ecstatic about fall! September is my bloggerversary and it was fall decorating that inspired me to start blogging in the first place. I am looking forward to the next few months in blog land and seeing all of the gorgeous autumn and holiday displays!

Happy fall!!!!

I am honored that his post has been featured at these parties:
http://www.adelightsomelife.com/2013/10/home-and-garden-thursday-49.html
http://www.frommyfrontporchtoyours.com/
http://www.commonground-do.com/2013/10/be-inspired-159-farmhouse-porch-decor.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FbCGJMl+%28Common+Ground%29


Parties:
http://ivyandelephants.blogspot.com/2013/09/ironclad.html
http://www.commonground-do.com/
http://rootedinthyme.blogspot.com/2013/09/woodland-birthday-party-and-simple.html
http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/2013/09/feathered-nest-friday_26.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: blogspot/QoLtm (FRENCH COUNTRY COTTAGE)
http://nominimalisthere.blogspot.com/2013/09/open-house-blog-party-and-winner.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: NoMinimalistHere (No Minimalist Here)
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/2013/09/time-travel-thursday-167-talented-time.html
http://www.adelightsomelife.com/2013/09/home-and-garden-thursday-48.html
http://elizabethandco.blogspot.com/2013/09/be-inspired-features-and-link-party-88.html
http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/09/183rd-inspire-me-tuesday.html
http://www.frommyfrontporchtoyours.com/
http://www.thejennyevolution.com/
http://shabbyartboutique.com/2013/09/shabbilicious-friday-link-party-24.html
 http://www.craftberrybush.com/
http://thethriftygroove.blogspot.com/2013/09/thrifty-things-friday-128.html
http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2013/10/fall-mantel-decorating.html
http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/2013/10/fabulously-creative-friday-linky-party-3.html

23 comments:

  1. Amber, I love all of your treasures, especially the owls & deer. Happy Blogiversary!! I hope Fall finds you feeling your best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your autumn mantel, Amber! Your dear is the perfect indoor pet. No shedding, quiet, and she is adorable in her stylish eyeglasses. Happy fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great displays! Sounds to me like you are a trendsetter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fall displays are wonderful! I have always loved Owls and you displayed yours in very clever ways.I had to laugh at both your comment about coming up with a idea then seeing everyone else doing a bit later and your one about 25 cent treasures.I feel exactly the same about both! : ) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was absolute fun! I have quite a few deer myself- this just made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your style and your blog! I adore your pet deer! So happy to find another vintage junkie.....visiting from Amaze Me Monday and following you Hometalk, Pinterest and GFC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your fall mantel! I am a sucker for vintage pieces, and the owls and deer are fantastic, that deer was quite the estate sale find!
    I would sure love to invite you to link it up at our party Lovely Ladies linky party which is hosted by 6 different bloggers each Wednesday, so lots of exposure for this great piece! You can find us here http://bit.ly/15t2Nra
    Hope to see you there :)
    -Molly at Just a Little Creativity

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, just beautiful, Amber! Love the use of owls! Can't wait to see more pictures of the buffet - I really love the vignette you created - fantastic! Cheers, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love it all!! Your deer is precious! And I think you're still very original (even if you saw something similar in a mag ;)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. The deer is my favorite! Especially looking as wise as the owls with her very own glasses. Very creative vignettes. I really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beyond super cute. I love everything!

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanted to invite you to the Friday Flash Blog Party, the best linky in town! I hope you'll join us and link up. Who knows. You may just get highlighted!

    The party goes on ALL weekend.

    Jennifer @ The Jenny Evolution
    www.thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word, your pampered pet is the cutest thing, I love it and all of your fall decor is so beautiful. Thanks so much for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your fun and unique Fall displays! Thanks for sharing at TTF~!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your displays! The owl in the birdcage is fabulous and oh how I love that deer. I know what you mean. I have brought yard items in off and on for years. Funny though how things to get trendy. Must admit I wasn't an owl lover at first, but they have grown on me that past two years. I bought a sweet black one with big yellow eyes at Home Goods also. The 25 cent owl photo was a great find! Thanks for sharing your talent with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Fall décor is beautiful and the deer is just the cutest thing ever. Thanks so much for joining the Open House party.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amber, I'm in love with your little deer! You have this vignette styled so perfectly, and of course your owls are a hoot! thanks for always joining in, I'm featuring this post tomorrow on Be Inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is awesome - love the owls and the deer is dear! You've set a beautiful mantel - I will be featuring your post in Home and Garden Thursday - I appreciate you sharing,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun! The owl in the bird cage is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a delightful post- love the owls and am completely smitten with the little deer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is the 1st time I have visited your site. It was so much fun! You have a special touch and I love it. I've just become a follower. I have many boxes of my mother's "treasures" and one of them is full of the owls she collected in the 60s. You just inspired me to get them out. I'm not sure why but I just really like your deer. It must be the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  22. soooo cute!!! LOVE your deer! I keep hoping I will find one, but no luck so far. : / Love all your beautiful fall vignettes. So glad I found you through Debra's party!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from lovely people: