Finding rusty old junk is fun! Nevertheless, I have found that no matter how much "stuff" I find and collect, only God can fully satisfy my heart. Matthew 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Downstairs Halloween Mantel

 
 
 
Halloween is upon us...time to get decorating!
 

 Hope you are having as much fun as I am with all your fall and Halloween decor. I am way behind on seasonal decorating due to a home renovation upstairs, so I have been concentrating more on my downstairs this year. In keeping with my "use what you have" decorating mantra, I grabbed some things from around the basement family room to put together this mantel display. I didn't have to buy anything new other than the small pumpkin, but the whole display is "new" this year. I was originally going to use all my vintage  Halloween blow molds on the mantel and around the fireplace, but yesterday I got this large, eerie vintage-looking photo for free from the school library. Actually, its just a plastic poster, but I knew I could make it work. I carefully tore eye holes and used battery operated candles for the eyes. I put an old 1800's picture frame around it and it really looks great! I had also been wanting to use scrabble tiles somewhere in my Halloween decorating this year, so I added the "creepy" description to the mantel display, which I think is quite fitting.


Downstairs we have most of our primitive things and "mantique" finds that my husband collects, so I used the antlers, a silverplate trophy, a very old wooden shoe form, an antique clock, a brown crock and vintage amber glass bottles around the picture (mostly all my husband's junk finds). It gives the impression that these old items belonged to the man in the picture. CREEPY!


Here is a picture at night with the lights on. I had just started here, and as you can see in the first picture, I later added the pumpkin to the top of the trophy and also the old clock. I am always tweaking displays as inspiration hits. With that in mind, I'm off for more inspiration.
Have a great evening!
 
 
Parties:

5 comments:

  1. OH MY! He IS creepy!! Great ideas here, Amber! And I like the use of YOUR scrabble tiles, too.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my ! That is Creepy! And fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spooky painting is hysterical! I want to do that at my house but it won't be until next year. love your white pumpkins too!

    have a great day! Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I LOVE this, so much fun, the portrait just makes it!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from lovely people: