Finding rusty old junk is fun! Nevertheless, I have found that no matter how much "stuff" I find and collect, only God can fully satisfy my heart. Matthew 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Mirror, Mirror On The Wall, Who's The Fairest?


She's the fairest of them all...mirrors that is!

Last week I featured this beautiful mirror in my "Flea Market Finds" post. As I was working in my booth over the weekend, I decided the mirror deserved a little more attention and would be nice for White Wednesday and for the upcoming weekend blog parties. Isn't it amazing?


  This art-deco style mirror is very unique and old, probably from the 1930's-40's.  As a result the mirror is perfectly shabby, showing its age just as we vintage junkies prefer. It was hard to get a good picture due to lighting and reflections but I think you can tell that it is quite a wonderful piece. "She" is now gracefully displayed and for sale in my antiques booth awaiting her new home. The more I blog about this mirror, the more I think I am crazy to sell her! The statement, "to sell or not to sell, that is the question..." seems to be becoming a theme with all my recent blog posts about my junking finds!

I enjoyed creating this glitzy-retro display using gorgeous beaded shoes, white roses, pearls, beads, long leather gloves and vintage handbags along with the mirror. Its just a beautiful mix of whites, ivory, cream and silver.


019-3
She reminds me of a Hollywood star of the silver screen...


At some point in time someone decided to frame the mirror in a silver frame as you can see in this picture. Originally it probably had no frame and was a flat mount mirror with the little clear mirror brackets. I spoke with another antiques dealer who specializes in framing and she felt that the framing was done later, possibly in the 60's or 70's. It was definitely a professional framing job, as the company's name and location is stamped on the back. The framing was done in Brooklyn, New York. If I decide to keep the mirror, I will probably have it reframed in one of my antique wooden mirrors painted white.



I worked with the lighting on my photo editor and I was able to isolate the outline of the figure to make it appear as if she is suspended in air. So graceful!

021-5
This mirror was so much fun to photo edit. I love the border I found on photobucket.
 While working on this post I can't help but sing Madonna's Vogue  "...they had style, they had grace...Beauty is where you find it..."

Don't you think this mirror would be perfect in a boutique store, formal dress shop or a little powder room? Oh, wait ---I know the perfect place---just above the dresser in my new shabby-romantic-inspired bedroom!

Have a beautiful week Darling!



Partying with:
http://knickoftimeinteriors.blogspot.com/
http://fadedcharmcottage.blogspot.com/
http://micheleravendesigns.blogspot.com/
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/
http://commonground-debrasvintagedesigns.blogspot.com/
http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/2012/05/feathered-nest-friday_10.html

http://romantichome.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

  1. She is absolutely beautiful and elegant. I can just imagine her set up above a vanity table.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle. I actually was just finishing up editing the post, I had accidentally posted too soon. I added a couple more pictures. I also think she would look wonderful above a vanity!

      Delete
  2. The best mirror I've seen in a long, long, long time! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is stunning! Love the way you have those pretty shoes and all the accessories surrounding her. I'd have a real hard time parting with her too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Followed over from Primp. I am obsessed with mirrors - I even lay them flat on tables! If I put this in my booth, I would put a steep price on her to discourage buyers so I would have a reason to bring her back home.

    I have never seen one in such great shape. Here is the chant: Keep her, Keep her, Keep her...

    Hope the spell works!

    I will be back.
    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love this mirror..so different..and those shoes! Very pretty vignette! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE,LOVE,LOVE that mirror! I can picture it over a dressing table with vintage items displayed and draped on every square inch!
    It's an incredible piece...
    Thank you so much for sharing it!
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi~ Great Mirror ~ Shabby Chic and Beautiful.. Also, love the bible verse, Matthew 6:19

    Sincerely,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete

Comments from lovely people: