Finding rusty old junk is fun! Nevertheless, I have found that no matter how much "stuff" I find and collect, only God can fully satisfy my heart. Matthew 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Saying "Goodbye" To Summer Decor

 
It's the last weekend in August and before long summer will be but a memory as the excitement and beauty of fall takes over. I just wanted to do a post to say "goodbye" to summer and take a last look at the vignettes around my dining room before the pumpkins invade!

                                         
 
This is my favorite little cozy corner to decorate seasonally. It is very hard to get a good picture because I leave the window unadorned for simplicity and it's always bright during the day and at night I get glare, but it really is a charming area. The chair and chalkboard were both second hand makeovers I completed during Christmas (http://junkaholicsunanimous.blogspot.com/2012/12/christmas-makeovers.html) so this was my first time getting to use them for spring and "summer thyme." I had bought a vintage feed sack a while back but never really could find the right spot for it until I put the chair in the dining room. For now I am using it as "upholstery" ( it's just draped over the back and front). I recently found the most gorgeous antique lace feather pillow at an estate sale and it's perfect for the chair. It pairs beautifully with a toile yellow Ralph Lauren pillow that I picked up this summer at a yard sale. I love the romantic prairie look of the three textiles and my sweet little fabric-remnant heart sachets, and although the look is very summery, I think the colors are neutral enough to work for fall as well. I can just swap out the hearts for my velvet pumpkins. 
 
 
 
 

                  

On the shabby end table beside my chair is a vignette with my favorite decorating books and my cake stand cloche. In the spring I filled it with my favorite vintage McCoy pots and a pretty blue bird figurine and have kept it on display for summer. I "planted" antique tatting, a vintage hankie and vintage canister in the pots. I enjoy pops of robin's egg blue, teal and aqua for summer displays.

                                    
 
                            I love birds and design my spring and summer themes around them.

 
 
                                       Everything pictured is a yard sale or second hand find. I really do decorate
                                       on a dime!


                                                           Vintage door knobs anyone?

 
Here's a last look at the summer dining room for now. I'm getting ready to swap out the white dining table for an amazing antique farm table I found for $15 at a yard sale, and it's time for a change anyway. I do love this one, but I figure it's always easy to create another white dining table with a flea market table and white chalk paint if my blancophilia gets the best of me and I must have more white in the dining room again.
 
 
My love affair with ironstone and vintage silverplate is in no way dying down and I almost always use it on my dining table. My summer tablescape has been simple this year: an urn full of very old tarnished silver plate utensils, some favorite ironstone and silverplate pieces and a faux wax pie (purchased for .25 at a yard sale). A large ironstone pitcher holds a prim greenery spray. I have scattered a homemade potpourri of fragrant rosehips, dried herbs and spices on my most beloved ironstone platter and used a vintage Vernor's soda crate for the base. I have many other crates but I liked the green writing for spring and summer.
 
 
 
 
 
I'm going to eventually get around to doing a post about some of my favorite junk in this corner and take some better pictures, but for this post I just wanted to show how it looks for summer with seasonal accents, such as a collection of favorite shells and dried roses from the garden hanging on a piece of architectural salvage "ladder."
 
 
 
On top of the corner cabinet is probably my favorite vignette right now. I love "Grace," my vintage jewelry bust, and I use her in my decorating all year round. I can't wait to dress her up for Halloween again!  Here is how she looked last year:


(See more of last year's shabby Halloween here: http://junkaholicsunanimous.blogspot.com/2012/10/its-halloween.html)
 
Well that's all for this Friday evening! As you can see from my altered sign, "The Early Bird Gets The Junk," so it's an early bedtime for me!
http://www.frommyfrontporchtoyours.com/

http://shabbyartboutique.com/2013/08/shabbilicious-friday-link-party-20.html

http://www.threemangoseeds.blogspot.com/

http://jannolson.blogspot.com/

http://www.adelightsomelife.com/2013/08/home-and-garden-thursday-44.html

http://thethriftygroove.blogspot.com/

http://www.homemakeronadime.com/2013/09/creative-bloggers-party-hop-126.html

http://www.timewashed.com/2013/09/blissful-whites-wednesday.html

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! Very creative vignettes! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your "junk"!!! Your vignettes are just gorgeous!
    Can't wait for your fall decor, always so fun and creative!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is super! I give you tons of credit since I have CFS. Makes life challenging to say the least. Thanks for the blog visit and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, CFS is the worst! I was diagnosed with CFS in 1995. It is one of the "side effects" of autoimmune issues, or in my opinion, whatever causes the CFS (bacteria, viruses etc) triggers the autoimmune diseases. Keeping positive is the only thing that keeps me going!

      Delete
  4. Love all your "pretties" as my boys call them. Thanx for joining THT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful summertime vignettes - I am looking forward to changing over, but will miss the lighter summery look. Beautiful chair with the pillows - loved it! I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love so many of the same things that you do. I use a lot of birds in my decorating for spring and aqua is my favorite pop of color. All of your vignettes are just wonderful. You have the knack girl! Love the Halloween display and will be back when I have more time to check out more. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks lovely! I am trying to get my fall on around here now too.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Comments from lovely people: